It's Okay To Ask

Was Jesus saddened by His asking for the cup to pass? Did He feel weak for wanting to avoid the pain that was to come? Did He beat up on Himself for not bucking up and just doing what was asked of Him?

I was struck by these questions in reading Timothy today. "Be strong in the grace of Christ Jesus." I hear often the command, "Show yourself a little grace!" probably because I am often harder on myself than I should be. Forgiveness and love beyond measure should be extended to all. That includes me. Jesus didn't need that grace but He prayed long and hard in the garden. He talked with God about what He was going to face. He asked if He could not have to go through the pain. Did He then think poorly of Himself because of that? I know I would have if I were asking.

What about others? Do I think less of them for asking to avert life's troubles? To give love and forgiveness to others is difficult, for sure, but not so much when I remember that we are imperfect and make mistakes. So why do I not apply the same grace to myself? When I can not take on what I feel I should, I am quick to judge myself and hold myself in contempt for being weak. The chiding does not cease. The whispers of not being enough or being too much rise in volume to the point that I can not hear anything else. Or any One. Instead of recognizing my weaknesses and allowing grace to cover them, I get stuck on the shortcomings and try to fix them. God never says anything about fixing me, does He?

In fact, Paul points to the exact opposite in Corinthians when he shares the Lord's words, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." God wants to use my shortcomings for His glory; to help point others back to Him. So why am I not running around rejoicing in all the stupid mistakes I make? Now there's a funny thought. "I couldn't do it! Woohoo!! God had to show up!" I am weak and I do make mistakes. Jesus never was and never did but He still asked for a pass. My asking for the same thing doesn't add to my list of weaknesses.

Back to the question I asked earlier... did Jesus harp on Himself for wanting to avoid the suffering He knew God was asking Him to endure? I don't think so. He knew He could ask. He knew that, regardless of God's answer, He was willing to do it. He didn't see it as weakness but as a simple question, knowing that God could chose another way to save you and me. His focus was not on Himself but on the God Who would walk through it with Him. His focus was not on the pain to come but on the way God could use the situation to save others.

"You get a 100% of what you don't ask for," is often said in our house. I think that is what it should be like. Accepting what God chooses to do but not being afraid to ask for a pass, as long as my focus is not on what I'm asking for but on the God Who can do anything with the situation. And when I screw it up or believe the whispers that tell me I'm weak, that's when I ask for grace.

Comments

Mamamax said…
Rejoicing because in my weakness He is glorified.
Kassie said…
Absolutely!

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus