Man Overboard

Have you ever been so overcome by emotion that you had to yell or jump or pretty much do anything but stand still? (Like maybe when the refs called "touchdown" for the Steelers or reversed a TD for the Seahawks this past weekend.) I’ve had that encounter once or twice in my life (obviously not on the ballfield) and the particular experience I love the most was at my brother’s boot camp graduation.

After all of the pomp and circumstance, having witnessed such a scene of pride and commitment to their country, and watching each young man and woman succeed in his or her endeavor I was so moved I couldn’t sit still. The soldiers were released to visit with family and friends but Jon couldn’t find us up in the bleachers. His charged up, dolt-of-a-sister (that would be me) yelled louder than at any football game, “MAXWELL!” I just couldn’t help it! I didn’t even think about how many heads would turn, how dumb I looked, or how silly it might have made him look (sorry, Jon). I had to yell… and then of course, I proceeded to cry all over his uniform. What a hormonal wacko! But it was an all-consuming and uncontrollable joy. I HAD to jump with both feet and, in a sense, show that I stood with him!

I think Peter might have been just as dolt-ish when it came to standing with Christ. In John 21:1-8 is the story of Jesus appearing on the beach and telling the disciples out in the boat where to cast their nets to find fish. No one realized until after they attempted to pull the nets in that the man on the shore was Jesus, who had been crucified and resurrected. Beth Moore says it best:
“Peter was surrounded by his usual crowd, all fellow followers of Jesus Christ. When Peter saw the resurrected Lord on the shore, however, he couldn’t stay in the boat with the rest of them. He swam to shore while the rest followed and towed the net full of fish. Peter was a man overboard. As long as he lived, he remained completely attached to the body of Christ, but no one determined his pace but Jesus. Spiritually speaking, Peter never got back in that boat.”

Oh to live with such abandon! I remember the feeling I had that day on base. I long to feel that way for my Lord. To be so moved by my love for him that I can not sit still, I can not stay in the boat. I don’t have to restrain myself in fear of my peers’ opinions of me. Just because I’m onboard doesn’t mean I can’t get out and swim! Granted, swimming may be more difficult and a little crazy when fully clothed but look at what it must have communicated to those around Peter, especially Jesus. Are you laughing at the thought? I’m sure his peers did and Jesus probably chuckled at Peter’s blind exuberance. I bet somebody onboard wished they had thought of it first when they saw the joy and love on Jesus welcoming face.

Beyond that day in Peter’s life, I wonder if that moment didn’t just light him up so much that he couldn’t sit still until all those around him were infected by his joy and love for Christ. One of Peter’s weaknesses – being so impulsive and recklessly abandoned – became his greatest strength for Christ.

So I was a little impulsive. Maybe I could have just gone and found Jon like every other family had. I would have missed one of my favorite memories if I had. Besides, now the whole base knows who “Maxwell” is. Wouldn’t it be cool if the whole world knew who Christ is? Man overboard!

Comments

jennylou said…
Great post. I was actually thinking about this the other day--about Peter and David and their crazy enthusiasm and recklessness. They got themselves into plenty of trouble but also experienced what it is like to throw yourself head over heels into God. They lived boldly. I think so often we live timidly, especially in church, out of fear that we will take a mis-step. Their lives had plenty of mis-steps but also amazing leaps. love you
Mamamax said…
Thanks for taking me back to a great memory, and then tying it so well to Peter's life. It made me feel how Peter felt. What a precious, wonderful view of loving God in an out-of-control way. I'm truly blessed to have your influence in my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus