My Mom, one of my most precious friends, shared some humble feelings on her latest post and I started writing a response that turned into something I thought might be encouraging to more than just her. So many of us have found ourselves feeling like the wallflower or the "different one." I imagine Jesus felt that way many times before he turned 30 and had the disciples. And even then, they did not always walk the same roads. Jesus was always just a little different; always thinking differently about things people thought were written in stone... as they may very well have been! Anyway, here are my thoughts and responses to her questions.
I think you can see from each comment posted on your site, Mom, that your kids are some of the other people who think about things and challenge others to do the same. We learned that from you! Maybe we are your fellowship and church, we are your ministry, if you have to have one. I have learned this past year that prayer for your family and support for your spouse are two huge ministry responsibilities that we face as women. It was incredibly hard for me to accept that my encouragement to them and the other women around me could qualify as my works for Christ. Living God's grace became my job. After I accepted that and worked at it, it became my greatest desire. Only after I "stepped into the water did the waters part."
And honesty doesn't always mean sharing all that you believe just as a book that you disagree with isn't necessarily a bad book. A good book is one that challenges you to know what you believe because of it's different views. If we were all alike there would be no challenge in relationships and we would not grow in our pursuit of living for God nor find depth in our friendships!
I've been in that place of facades and loneliness. I've prayed specifically for God to meet my need for friends and kindred spirits. I've struggled to find the place I fit. I continually have to turn my focus to God's will for me today. You and my sisters carried me through much of my lonely time and I can say now that God is faithful and His timing is perfect. I know this season in which I have found kindred spirits may not last but I know better now not to waste the times when I can share and encourage and pray for them. I must tackle the challenge God places in front of me, even when it seems too small a work, or too simple an act. My beliefs are really my avenue for worship and friendship with the Lord. My friends sometimes join me on the same avenue and sometimes, we're blocks apart. But our destination and our desire to please the Lord are the same. I encourage you to find places to "join your friends' avenues" and enjoy those meetings but don't forget to enjoy walking the street with just the Lord, too! Church is just one of those places where our avenues come together on Sundays.
I will keep praying for you to find what it is that your heart desires. See you on the avenue to Christ's heart. I love you, Mom!

Comments

jennylou said…
Wow. I am so blessed to have such thoughtful and amazing family.
Mamamax said…
Still waters run deep and you are a well! Thank you so much for blessing my heart and encouraging me. You help keep me centered in a political, male, competitive world. You help me remember who I was/am that seems so easily lost in the workplace. Mother and wife and now Nana. No greater calling.

Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus