Say It Out Loud!

I am constantly amazed by the power of the spoken word. In a day, so many millions of thoughts run through my head and never really reach that point of reality or consciousness. Some I am thankful I didn’t dare speak. They determine my actions and attitudes but they can't pull their own weight. Ping-ponging back and forth, my thoughts rarely slow down long enough to let me speak any thing at all unless, of course, you think "uh... weknwfeil gobledegook" is intelligible.
I have been challenged lately to speak my prayers and bible verses aloud in order to truly feel their impact. It's almost like the thoughts aren't real until they're said. It's incredibly scary and moving to stand at the threshold of believing. Suddenly, the air is full of a sense of presence and awe. I can feel that I'm being heard. I internalize my faith so much more as if I have more to stand on because I've prayed aloud. I have to actually believe the words before I can say them out loud.
I know that there is a sense of urgency and strength in the small words I utter quietly to my sleeping children. I've always prayed over them, telling them how special, precious, beautiful, and amazing they are. How they can do anything and how I love them, hoping that maybe they'll hear it in their subconscious. But more than that hope, I hold on to the faith that God will instill those things in them. A thought is merely one of many utterances that skip across my brain. When I say one out loud, it is my focus and prayer - the belief in "so be it."
The same goes for conversations with friends. So many times we are scared to speak our thoughts, even with the closest of friends. But occasionally, those words need to be said or the conversation needs to be started for the benefit of one or the other. Both sides need to say things out loud in order to hear them and decide if they are to be believed. Many times we hold an opinion in our minds and only after it has been spoken does it cause anguish or disgust at the realization that it was in our minds to begin with. I am astonished by some of the things I find out I believe after speaking difficult words with someone. Not angry words but the kind that can sting or challenge; the kind spoken in friendship and love.
Jesus did that all the time! Granted, he contains all knowledge and was always right. He could have carried out all miracles without a single word but he chose to say, “Peace. Be still.” Even the waves needed to hear the power to feel it. The apostles’ beliefs needed to be pricked and challenged.
Try speaking your prayers, and push the envelope. Try saying something that stretches your beliefs. I actually catch myself pausing before speaking certain things and then I end up verbally scolding myself. It’s a real kick in the head. Oh, and I wouldn’t advise letting your spouse listen in… they might think you’ve lost your mind.

Comments

~ jessica said…
Have you ever read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz? One of the things he says is that words are magic. He says people are not nearly careful enough with what they say and don't say, and the power of a single word is incredible, but is never realized by most people.

What you say reminds me of that. Most people easily spout hate and enmity without a second thought. But to pray out loud? They wouldn't dare. They whisper, or think their prayers. I wonder what would happen if everyone would, once a day, say one prayer aloud.

The effect would be two-fold, at least. They would have more faith in the strength of their prayers and the power of their words. And the words they choose would be better, kinder, and would have a healing effect on the world at large.

At least that's my hope.

I pray out loud, but it doesn't come easily. One day, the prayers will come easily and the frustrated outbursts will not come at all.
Kassie said…
I'm with ya sister! Nothing comes easily but I think it's always worth the effort. I'll have to check out Ruiz's book. Sounds like some challenging words (no pun intended... HAH!). KK
Mamamax said…
Great post Kass :) I've been reading "Hung by the Tongue" which is about watching how and what you say. A little extreme, but it's gets to the same thing you said.

One of the wonderful things being friends with jack and renee did for me was they way they spoke their prayers outloud. - passing an accident - Lord be with them; seeing a handicapped or hurting person, father bless them, and of course in small group, surrounding Jon and putting our hands on him to pray for his safety as he entered the Marine Corp. Yep! Good reminder! Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

It's All Colton's Fault...

... In Love