Confusion's Prescription

What is it about our lives that makes us crazy? Kids? Family? Obligations? Friends? Work? Expectations? Money… or the lack there of… or mismanagement of? Love? I wonder about this often and I can find only one answer… ME.
If I would just chill out once in a while and let God take control or even give myself permission to relax I could enjoy a little more of my life, I think.
Like writing this blog. I don’t write much because there are so many other things that demand my time, whether it’s supposed to by my free time or not. I should realize that most of my stress is self-induced by what I feel a good mom and wife and friend should be.
A wonderful quote came the other day: “The barrier between the women who appear to have it all together and the rest of us who often feel like we are floundering does not exist.” What?! My house isn’t supposed to be immaculate 24/7? I’m not supposed to wear make-up and jewelry each day? My kids aren’t supposed to be the perfect little angels that I see everyone else’s kids being? I know that’s true but I forget it when I lose sight of where God wants me and what he wants me doing. Right now, my job is supporting my husband in his ministry and praying over my family and friends. And that’s quite enough! I get confused plenty just with three kids and a husband clambering for my attention each day. Add a few friends and projects into the mix and I’m definitely a bumbling idiot. “Absolutely, I’ll be there!” comes out of my mouth regularly but then life happens and I miss out, once again. Good intentions don’t necessarily make me reliable or give me a clearer head. They just say that I really do value my friends and wish to spend time with them!!
Anita Renfroe says it well. “We’re all just trying to machete our way through the thicket that is this post-Eden, pre-Heaven, Earth-life. I am learning that, although God is not the author of confusion, he often uses the confusion in my life, so that I will listen more closely for his voice, examine more intently my past missteps, and appreciate more completely his peace that is only truly apparent in the middle of my muddle.”
It’s true! I know that when my house is a mess, the dishes are piling up, the Master bedroom has become “laundry hell,” and I get ping-pong brain every 5 minutes, I need to abandon it all and find… no, MAKE time for me to pray and listen to God. Prayer is my prescription for confusion, helping me to hope for healing peace.
God is there every time, without fail, and he helps me get my wits about me again. Then it’s just a matter of checking off the things on my to-do list and keeping him first in it all.
Why it’s so hard to remember something so simple, I’ll never know but I’m glad that he can use my confusion to refocus me. How patient he is. WOW!

Comments

jennylou said…
thank you for the reminder and the good talk the other day!

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus