Peace In All Life's Facets

I have to admit, life has been really difficult lately. Not that I expect it to be easy but I don’t think it has ever had so many facets to it. I feel like there is never more than 5 minutes of uninterrupted time when I can think on just one thing. If that happens for too long, I feel like I’ve got ping-pong brain and I can’t keep anything straight.
But God is good, as usual, in sending me reminders. Part of my bible study the other day was to read Philippians 4:4-13, a scripture that I’m sure I’ve read a million times, but that blew me over this time. Maybe it was the late night hour, maybe it was fatigue. Whatever it was, God was able to speak to my very weary soul just when and how I needed him to. Verses 5-9 were the most impacting.

“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put them into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

The one thing that I have yearned for the most is peace… there really is no other way to say it. I need peace. I want peace. I crave it like I do chocolate! With three crazies and a most ambitious hubby, I’ve got a few things going on. Add life and ministry to that and I’ve got some serious lack of quiet going on.
Something I have always done before I begin my study time is to ask God to help me hear what he wants me to from his word or his messenger (whatever bible study author I’m reading) and to help me focus on the conversation with him. After this study time God left me with a new thought. If I can focus on what is good and positive then he will provide me with peace and protection.
For me that means killing my late night TV watching, spending more time in quiet with him, being more responsible with the time I get alone, and trying to start my day by praying over my family and my to-do list.
Basically, peace comes when I give all of life’s facets to God by asking for his help (“…present your requests to God.”). Then the wisdom to know what has to be done and what doesn’t is clearer (“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding…”). Then my “gentleness [can] be evident to all” and he can help me protect my quiet time with him and for myself (“…will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”).
God is good… I think I might have to put that last part up so I can be reminded daily to focus on HIM!!

Comments

jennylou said…
Thank you for the good words.

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus