The words and thoughts of someone daring you to move beyond the edge of yourself.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Who knew that the Penguins got it right?! Sometimes the emotion follows the action.
(psst... if you don't get it, watch Madagascar - the first one)
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Comments
Popular posts from this blog
-
I wonder... what did I want to be when I grew up? I don't remember too much and mom could probably shed some interesting, if not shameful light on the subject but what did I want to become? An air force pilot? A ballerina? A muscle-lady, as my daughter calls professional body building women? Maybe a teacher. Could it be that I really wanted to be a mom all my life and now I am one? That's too easy. I've had this feeling that there was something more out there for me to do but I just couldn't nail it down. Church always told me that I had to have a ministry, as if my life wasn't full enough without it. Ok, so then who do I minister to? People get along just fine without me so it seems silly to interject myself into their lives for my own self-fulfillment. So, back to my question... what do I want to be when I grow up? Maybe the question should be what does God want me to be? I am a mom and that's a huge job all on it's own. Teach them to walk, talk, love, eat...
I went to a private Christian school for my elementary years and one of the requirements throughout the years was the memorization of scripture. It was something I actually liked doing, although I can't say I remember more than 4 or 5 long passages and a handful of verses, but one such passage that "stuck" was 1 Corinthians 13. I'm currently going through that chapter, taking it one verse at a time. I don't know if I have ever done it so slowly before. It affords an almost out of context focus on their meanings. Today was verse three: "If I give away all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." First, it seemed interesting that we could gain anything by surrendering. Why would that be a motivator? Sadly, I'm guessing that humans don't do much of anything without some promise of gain. Paul, the writer, knew that. I tabled that thought and went on to the meaning of the word surrender. To su...
My daughter sounded concerned about a friend who was posting what seemed to her to be a bit weird. I told her to send me one of the posts and then we could talk about it. Great mom-move, right? I was expecting to read some super cult jargon and procedures for scary rituals. What I got, however, was a spiritual check. The post was simply "super churchy" as I described it. Her friend was sharing a unique way of believing in God and following His way. Even saying that (His "way") makes me cringe a bit because it sounds churchy. But why does that bother me? I grew up with the Psalms-like romantic view of God and His working in my life and I still feel that way now but I shut it down. I have always wanted my kids to know God in that deep, "God is everything to me" way but I worry that I have not done well. Hearing my daughter's take on this post felt like confirmation of my failure. This interaction was still fresh in my mind when I started my quiet time t...
Comments