Bees

Have you ever watched honey bees? Have you watched how they work together, all doing different jobs to accomplish the same goals? Some clean, others work, and some guard the hive. There are even bees that "dance." I love that! When a field bee comes back from finding pollen, it will do a kind of dance to tell the other bees how to get there. If they mess up, they start all over and keep dancing until all who wanted to know find out where the pollen is.
Sometimes I feel like that is what Christians are like. We all have our jobs in the colony of believers. We start out with the basics of learning and doing clean up. Then we move on to working for and with others. With growth and knowledge comes the responsibility to protect and challenge those around us. As we finish, life becomes more about the dance and sharing what we’ve found with anyone who will listen.
There is a position that is carried out by just one bee... the queen. Bees will do anything for their queen. If she is removed from the hive, the colony will erupt into chaos within 30 minutes. All of them are her offspring and they rely on her to keep them calm and help them to figure out what to do next.
Aren’t we the same way? Not that God is a woman… getting sidetracked by that thought is just silly and it’s not what I’m saying. God can be anything. Man and Woman were created in God’s image and I believe he can be whatever he needs to be. Besides, who’s to say God isn’t a being totally beyond human comprehension. (Thanks for the challenge, Michelle!)
Back to the bees…when we don’t feel like God is with us, don’t we start freaking out? Do we get so busy working that we forget to come along side another who needs us? How about the dance? Do we give directions well enough for someone to find out more about God just by watching us?
The most amazing fact in all of this to me is that God came up with all of this. He created the bees and how they work together. I wonder if, on some small scale, this isn’t how God sees us. I guess my only other thought is that I hope He doesn’t decide to step on me.

Comments

jennylou said…
God is so a woman - smart, multi-tasking, care-giving, forgiving, nurturing, creative, life-giving, compassionate, relational - need I go on? :)
Kassie said…
yeah, but what about the selfish, jealous, war-ing, love-me-or-leave-me, it's-all-about-me God? hehe

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus