Inspired By Beauty

Today's quiet time reading was the ever UN-popular "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands..." but God took me to a new place with this today (I love it when He does that). So humor me. The verse says, "... in the same way..." not just, "wives... be submissive to your husbands." I had to read the previous passage again in order to get the context! Duh.

The passage before this talks of submitting to authority, with respect, even if doing good brings punishment. If I must suffer, it should be for doing good in the sight of God.  When I endure it, I thereby become the greatest possible example of Christ because my action is always pointing to God. "Actions speak louder than words."

I am to do the same with my husband. He is the one who carries the authority of our home. He is due great respect. I can best show that in how I live - with purity, reverence, and a spirit that is secure in its hope in God. In that way I can build him up, show him love, and share the hope found only in God. By doing these things I also bring out the inner beauty in myself (a cool perk).

Think about it.

Fear is one of the greatest ways to cripple a man. It is Satan's preferred tool for bringing a man down. My hope, or lack of fear, helps redirect and encourage my Sweetie, leading him back to the Living Hope - Jesus Christ. When he fights the fear, runs to God continuously, and treats me with respect and consideration, then his prayers can be unhindered (Really! It says it right there in 1 Peter!).

"A happy wife makes a happy life," and "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," take on a new light for me. Any beauty I may possess from the inside out is only because of time spent with my Savior and it only shows up when my life is lit up with Christ's influence. My hope in God, my respect for my husband, my love of my children are all due to my giving up my self and letting Christ take my place. The more of "me" that dies, the more beautiful I can be. The more "beautiful" I am, the stronger and better encouraged my husband can be.

"... the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit... is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past, who put their hope in God, used to make themselves beautiful." 1Peter 3:4-5

Comments

Tammy said…
"Likewise, in the same way..." yes, submission is something the Lord and I are specifically working on this year.
Some changes may be coming up for us in the next year or two, and I've been resistant to them. I have realized that part of God's continual honing process in my life will be in this area of submission.
It was a couple weeks ago that the Lord spoke to my heart, and it felt profound, that I don't need to worry or be fearful about submitting to my hubby's desires as MUCH as I need to concentrate on submitting to God's desires, because if I'm submitting to the Lord then all the other periphery will fall into place. My submission to my hubby will come easier as I'm submitting to God.
Truthfully, on the one hand, I still feel resistance spring up so naturally. I have to consciously submit daily to whatever changes He brings my way. On the other hand, I know that walking in obedience brings the greatest blessings, even when I don't see how they will do so. Thankfully I know God well enough to know He loves to bless obedience, so I commit to submit, first and foremost to my God, and then from that, to the other ones in authority over me.
The only thing that would make me not submit to a form of authority is if that authority was against God or His Word. Then my submission would have to meet denial. My submission must be God first, God last and God everything in between.
So it was fun to read your post as submission is my theme this year. I know He's been calling me to it every year, just this year I'm more mindful of it. Since I’ve been more cognizant of it, it’s amazing how many times I would have normally reacted differently in a situation, but now I’m mindful to submit.
When we ask God to reveal how we are lacking, He’s really good at pointing it out and supplying all we need to accomplish what He’s called us to, so submitting shouldn’t be all that hard, right??? haha

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus