Do The Work

Few things evoke a more negative groan from my children than the request to help around the house or do a chore. You can just hear them, right? The harrumphs and sighs of great exasperation coming from such beautiful little faces. The rolling of the eyes, the shoulders slumping, and the, "Do I have to," that dribbles from the mouths of those who usually delight me with their cheery dispositions. It's not like I've just asked them to restore the Sistine Chapel or scrub the marble halls of the courthouse. "I just asked you to take out the trash." Oh, no, Fluffy!!!

So many times God has asked things of men and women throughout history and elicited the same childlike reaction. Grown humans dragging their feet in the service of the One Who gives them life. Why is it so hard to act as we know we should. Our kids are fully aware of their reactions but still forget the consequences that follow them. I am fully aware that my negative responses to God's requests will only truly hurt me. He will always accomplish what He desires, with or without me to do the work, just as the dishes WILL get done, whether by me or by my child. It's just a matter of how many tears will be spilled before they are finished.

Lately, I have been under the weather and needing help to get the normal things done because I'm too exhausted and sick to care what state the house is in. Not my favorite position to be in but it has given me a good sense of who my kids truly are at heart. On more than one occasion, I have come home to a clean house, a fire burning in the wood stove, and dinner made. No asking, no chiding, no coercing. Just action without request. Yes, there were still dust bunnies that had been missed, the toilets needed a bit more attention, and the kitchen sink desperately needed scrubbing but the necessities were taken care of. My children knew that any help was welcome and that they didn't have to do it to my standards. They knew I was grateful just to have the work done.

That makes me wonder... do I fear not doing well enough for God so then I don't even want to try? Is that why my kids dread cleaning the shower... because I expect it to be done a certain way? Am I afraid I won't do what God asks in the right way or that I am not good enough? I know the answers to these questions. I know I drag my feet and don't act as swiftly as I should. I know that I hesitate to act because I don't think I'm good at it or I doubt that I can. Who am I?!

Greater men and women than I have been asked to do greater things for God in the face of pain or rejection. They have jumped in with both feet and turned things upside down for God's sake. Were they afraid? Did they feel strong enough to face the certain opposition? I would venture to say that they quaked in their boots just as I would but that they held on to one thing I tend to loosen my grip on... grace. They knew that what they had to offer was never going to be enough unless God was in it. He makes up the gap between what I can do and what He needs done. That is grace.

David said it best in his advice to his son, Solomon: "Be strong and courageous and do the work." It's hard to lead, to parent, to be a friend, to be a coworker. It's hard to feel like I can do anything that will make a difference. David knew this same feeling but wanted his son to know that whatever he could give to the Lord to use was more than enough. His willing heart was what God was after. My willing heart is what God wants to see. So, I must focus on making my steps deliberately for God and not wavering in doing whatever task He asks of me. I must swallow my fears and just do the work! No matter the outcome of my efforts, God will use it. No matter the placement of the dishes in the dishwasher, they will be clean enough for me to eat from.

I love my kids. Truth be told, harrumphs and all, they are the delight of my life. That's why I care how they react and why I keep on them as I do. God sees me the same way. He loves me and just wants to see my heart grow in love for Him and those around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus