What Do I Do Now?


Have you and a friend ever watched a mystery show and as soon as a clue is revealed they start asking a million questions and end up talking over the explanation given by the characters? Or how about this: have you been in a classroom where the teacher tells her students to "get out your books, turn to this page, and then I will give you instructions on what to do next," only to watch most students shoot their hands up as soon as their book is open to ask what they are supposed to do? *Insert exasperated harumph from teacher here.*

Our pastors' latest series, "Majoring on the Minors," is taking us through the minor prophets. It's been a fun and revealing look into humanity, especially myself. The "doom and gloom" of the destruction that awaits followed by the resolution to praise God and trust His direction. I was reading through Zephaniah and came upon a few verses that stood out in an unusual way, or rather, not in the "doom and gloom" warning tone of the prophets.

God speaks of how He will destroy "...those who turn back from following the Lord and neither seek the Lord nor inquire of him. Be silent before the Sovereign Lord, for the day of the Lord is near." (Zeph 1:6-7)

I know, I know. That doesn't sound different from the "doom and gloom" message and technically, it's not but when I read it, I saw it as if those were the attributes God was looking for. We are to seek Him. We are to ask him questions. We are to be silent in His presence.

Looking for God is powerful. When I look, He is there. Sometimes blatantly, through a sign that's just between Him and me. Sometimes it's more covert, more like a feeling of Him being near. It usually depends on what I need at the moment. He tailors His interactions to my needs.... not my desires. 

He wants to be found.

I always get antsy when I ask God questions. I feel needy and like a burden that God shouldn't have to deal with. But asking questions of God is okay. Even in a teacher's exasperation, they are usually keen to help the students because those little minds are wanting to learn more. How else can they gain knowledge? Asking God questions is how I will learn, and is a great way to keep the dialogue going between us. 

He wants to hear what we think, need, feel.

Answers come, if we ask... but only if we also listen. "Be Silent." Silence is something I love. It is restful and revealing. It allows me to hear nature and creates peace for me. Quiet stills my soul so that I can listen. "He leads me beside the still waters; He restores my soul." 

He wants me to hear Him.

So, next time you want to blow your top because someone spoke before they thought, remember that it is something we are all learning. To seek, to ask, and to listen.

Comments

Tammy said…
Absolutely yes!

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

It's All Colton's Fault...