Parenting: What Do I Know?



 Today, I read Proverbs 6:20-21. My thoughts may not be in line with the context of the chapter but, then again, God rarely teaches me that way. He usually takes me to an idea that comes from the passage and then shows me another thought. That's what He did today so I thought I'd share my tangent.

"My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck."

Sheesh!! No pressure! That's how my mind first experiences these words. Moms and dads are to give guidance to their children. 

It sounds easy enough until you have to put it into action. The basics are easy, but the new stuff, the stuff that feels beyond the scope of my abilities to handle myself much less help my kids handle, is incredibly befuddling. It is hard not to feel like a sub-par parent. So I choose the things we know I can stand on and work from there. 

My heart has always wanted my children to know Christ the way I have; to experience Him in a personal yet larger than life sort of way; to want to be in step with His desires for their lives. In order for this to happen, there have to be examples and guidance. Where would they get this from? Me. From watching me look for those things and striving for a closer relationship with God. That doesn't just happen. Like anything you wish to teach, it takes discipline. Focus is needed to educate someone. It's also needed to learn.

Ugh, again it comes back to the parent. Discipline has never been at the forefront of my being... except in those things I value most... so why would it be important to them? A friend once said something that I'm sure has been out there forever but it has never left my mind. Kids will not learn as much from what is taught than they will from what is caught. So discipline and education are useless? No, they are reinforced by what is observed. What do my kids see as something that's important to me? 

"Bind them (the teachings of your parents) upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck." 

This passage made me picture a charm I've had since Jr. High. It has always stayed with me and I have always valued it's symbolism in my life. Not sure why it struck so deep in my soul but it did. The charm has an anchor, a cross, and a heart. Now, I'm not a hearts and flowers sort of girl, in fact I have always avoided anything with hearts on it, especially jewelry, but this didn't mean the same thing to me. It is the teaching that I have "fastened around my neck," and bound to my heart. It is the one thing I wish my kids to be struck by as well. 

The Anchor - represents Faith or being anchored and steadfast in... I believe in Jesus and His love for me. 

The Cross - represents Hope or what Christ gave me by dying on the cross for me... a hope that I am saved and His.

The Heart - represents Love or the beautiful commitment to walk through life with someone... the knowledge that I am fully known and still wanted.

Perfect parents don't exist as proven multiple times in the Bible but for me, if they teach these things, if they live like they believe these three things, they're pretty rock solid. No my kids won't be perfect. They'll still make mistakes like I did and do. They'll still struggle to figure out what they believe and value most in life. Being anchored in Christ's love is what I hope my kids "catch" from me. If I stick close to God and do my best to stay focused on Him, then their chances are so much better. 

So they burp at the table and aren't always the perfect child. That'd be great but if they love Jesus, I did my best as a parent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

It's All Colton's Fault...