God & Parenting

I have had so many conversations lately with moms who are worried about how good a mom they are and I couldn’t help feeling the same way. Some days I feel like I should be fired!! Then God gave me something wonderful to let me know that Scott and I, in doing our best with God’s help, are giving our children just what they need. I hope their actions below can inspire you as they have me.

Kayla and Scott were out on a date a couple nights ago and while they were sitting at the table for dinner Scott noticed that she was staring at someone. She was trying hard to look away and then they would catch her eyes again. Scott let her ponder for a while and then asked what she was doing. Kayla replied that she was trying not to stare at a little girl but that it was very hard. Scott told her to look once more and then tell him what she saw.
She did just that and then told him about how she couldn’t tell if the girl had legs or not. Scott asked if she was in a special chair. “Yes,” Kayla replied.
“And does she have a lot of people around her?”
“Yes.”
Scott then spent some time explaining that she may not have legs and that she appeared to have other special qualities making it so that she needed help from friends and family.
They went back to eating and once again, Scott noticed how pensive and observant Kayla had become.
“What are you thinking about now?” Scott asked.
“I wish that I could be her and she could be me so that she could have legs to run and play, like me.”
Fighting through the tears, Scott told her that was the greatest thing he had heard in a long, long time.

Then came Colton’s redeeming moments (hahaha). The first was when we were finishing up by the campfire and all but Scott were going in the house. Scott looked up and whined, “But I’m gonna be all alone.”
Colton turned and replied in a matter-of-fact way, “No, you won’t, Dad. God and Jesus will be right there with you.”
The second was when Scott and he were outside playing and came across a bird that had been attacked by another animal and it was just lying on the ground. They watched it for a while to see if it would recover but it did not move so Scott went to get something so he could put it somewhere else.
As Scott turned to leave, Colton declared that he was going to stay with the bird. Perplexed, Scott asked why he didn’t want to come with him. “Because I want to comfort him so he’s not alone.”

Needless to say, I didn’t feel like such a bad parent after hearing those things. God knows what I’m good at and he can fill in the gaps. I just need to keep bringing my kids and myself to him in prayer. And I need to chill out… they are KIDS, after all. Don’t we wish we could be them some days?

Comments

jennylou said…
Stinking make me cry! What a blessing.

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus