Religion - not my favorite word

Okay... now that you've choked over the title and had to make yourself start reading, just let your mind wander around in this mush of thoughts.
I've been reading in James again. Funny how God just dropped it in my head again. Not that it's a hilarious read... on the contrary, I find it incredibly difficult and convicting. But I've also had some light shed on things I haven't really seen before... like what God really desires and what we've been sidetracked by.
First, the icky part... 'what is religion'. I really don't like that word but it's not because of it's true definition but more because of what human nature has done to it.
"The term "religion" refers both to the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction. [It] is commonly identified by the practitioner's prayer, ritual, meditation, music, and art, among other things." - that's just one of the definitions from Wikipedia. It's basically a bunch of people who like the same beliefs, music, worship, traditions, etc., coming together with others who are like minded. It's a sort of club where you know you won't be an outcast because others are thinking the same things you are. If you don't fit in one, you try another. hmmmm.... sounds like my old high school clique. Let's see... "A clique is an inclusive group of people who share interests, views, purposes, patterns of behavior, or ethnicity." um, see anything similar? Ouch.
Now, granted, a clique is exclusive and getting in is harder than getting a job these days, but I could find a few people who think that about church. They tried to fit but just didn't feel welcomed. Or what about those that are welcomed but then hit some bump in their road? James talks about how these communal acts (religion) are made worthless if you let your tongue waggle about (if gossip enters in). How long does it take your religious group to get the word around about someone's divorce, or a friend's disagreement with another? And how many times does it come across your ears because someone wants to 'pray' for them? Oooo, that smarts, too.
James writes about how the only religion God sees as pure and faultless is one that cares for orphans and widows in distress and one that keeps a person from being polluted by the world. Is that my religion? Does it do that? Can I trust those I commune with? Will they take care of me when I hit the ground hard? Will they challenge me when I am acting out of line or being influenced by evil?
I am blessed to have a group of women in my life, who I DID meet in my religious gathering place, who will be there for me. They are my church.
As for what God desires... "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." Notice how the speaking thing comes up again and James points out (again) that we need to keep a tight rein on our tongues... and our anger. Anger messes all kinds of stuff up, especially our tongues.
A righteous life is one lived by God's law, under His will. James looks at that too saying, he who "looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does." So a righteous man concentrates on God's words, focuses on His will. If I am "pressing on toward the goal" and listening/doing His will then that creates the freedom to be what God created me to be. And when I am being me in God's will, that brings about blessing because the doors are flung open by God. It's His will.
It all comes down to this...
- Focus on God's law, His will for your life.
- Listen to others more than you speak.
- Speak minimally and positively.
- Care for those in distress.
- Remain focused on God's law.
So if I could do all of that and so could those who worship with me at church, within my religion, then wouldn't that change how the word 'religion' is received? Crazy to think that God's desire for us makes the perfect religion but we muck it all up. Guess I'll be trying a bit harder.

Comments

good. relationship with God will transform us to respond with his loving attention. enjoyed this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus