It's All Colton's Fault...

This is most likely for all you moms and grandmas to enjoy laughing at me, the one who did this to you.

For the life of me I've been trying to figure out why I haven't been able to keep up with my household chores the last few months. I am usually able to work, do the bills, pick up the house, clean the bathrooms (HAH!), do the laundry from start to finish, keep the kids entertained, and do the dishes (although, that is something my hubby has said he would do for me but doesn't do until my head explodes or there's no more counter space... which is pretty incredible considering the amount of counter space we have. (I love you, Sweetie :) )). Lately, I can't tell if anything is actually getting done without great efforts to dig out from under the pile of whatever it is!

A usual day's routine is to get everyone ready and out the door to take Kayla to school and then take jr. to the store for groceries or to run whatever errand needs to be run. I return in time to pick Kayla up from school and make lunch for all. Today, however, I decided to break with the mundane and stay home to get stuff under control. By 11:00am I was astounded by the realization that the reason you can drown in my laundry piles, clean though they may be, is my son!

We started by getting ready and getting him in his bath for which he spent most of the time hollering that he wanted toothpaste on his toothbrush and "minies" or his vitamins. Next, it was "how long can we keep mom from getting ready" by escaping down the hallway, bare buns wiggling all the way.

After getting dressed finally, we went in the garage. I had some cleaning up and organizing to do so Colton played on his bike... for all of 5 minutes. I dropped everything, road him around on the scooter for a few minutes and then went back to work. Commence the whining. So, in the back of the truck he went (one of his favorite places to dork around)... for all of 5 more minutes. I stopped cleaning and gave him some books. That lasted for a while... you guessed it - about 5 minutes.

Okay, so we won't clean the garage. Back in my room I got my exercise ball down so he could play with it while I did a little laundry. Hmm, didn't last long. I ended up on the floor playing ball with him, his whining never ceasing.

He won't let me do laundry so we'll go outside and play. We kicked the ball for - yes - 5 minutes and then played with the kid lawnmower. Daddy let him help vacuum his office, all the while playing quietly with a vacuum accessory or "helping" him organize his space. But that too was short lived, although Daddy was able to get his job done!

Last, it was off to get sissy from school. With much protest and petition, Colton got to ride in the stroller. On the way home, we (Kayla, Colton, and I) stopped to visit at the Slocum house. We played there for about an hour and came home for lunch and naps.

Jr. could barely keep his eyes open at the table and both kids crashed hard at nap time. So, you see, I do a LOT in one morning but get nothing done at all! If you visit my house sometime soon remember that it's all my son's fault... whatever it is! :)

Comments

jennylou said…
Wish I were there to witness the chaos! Sounds like you are a great mom. One of the pastors at church says she is a "homemaker" not a "housekeeper" and I really respect that. You can tell her kids love it too and it is refreshing to be in a lived in house where making cookies is more important than vacuuming.
J.R. said…
Yeah, blame it on the one that hasn't figured out how to protest. ;-)

J.R.
Kassie said…
You betcha he gets the blame! :) He causes enough trouble to warrant it! HAHAHA And you can be sure that cookies are made often in this house. Love you guys.
Anonymous said…
AMEN SISTER!!!! hehe
Anyone with kids knows... There's no such thing as housework. It's kidwork! -Ya know, they don't raise themselves.!! Can we forward this blog to Jon's work email? hehe (Just kidding hun-I know you're starting to understand!)
He didn't understand for the longest time why I wasn't able to do much, if anything, around the house after coming home from working 8 hour days and then deal with a screaming child because she's so tired from her day, but doesn't want to give up her "mommy time" either!!
-Thanks Kass for the insight to someone else that's going through it too!
Mamamax said…
Ah the joy of being past all that! I have such fond memories and the wonder of it all is I don't remember the details of the chaos, frustration, desire to kill spouse, pull out hair, give up in despair etc. I know they were part, but the memories are sweet. Perservere! You're doing great!
Love you MOM

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love