The Armor of God

My husband has been challenging, whether he knows it or not, to get my butt back into the word and my mind back on God. This weekend he had me help him memorize the passage in Ephesians 4 about the Armor of God. Once again, this was another passage I’ve read a lot and even memorized at one point. I love how scripture never says the same thing to me when I’m open to what God wants me to hear.

So the armor consists of the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, feet fitted with readiness from the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, the sword of the spirit, and prayer. I’ve heard a lot of detailed steps and explanations for each item but just reading it can give you quite a picture of what’s needed to stand in the face of evil.

The imagery is so cool! The one that stood out this time was the shield of faith. Here’s how the verse reads:
“In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” Eph. 4:16

I feel like I put on the armor the best I can but somehow I forget the faith shield. So I’m well protected but I’m still open to injury. If a flaming arrow is flying at me, wouldn’t I want to keep it from hitting me? DUH! Sometimes I think I just stand there readying myself for impact when I could avoid it all together! All it takes is a little faith, confidence, or belief for me to do that.

I guess the same could apply to each of the other pieces of armor. Do I get myself all prepared for battle without deciding that I’m fighting for God (Helmet of Salvation)? without being honest with God about my motives (Belt of Truth)? or without being anxious to do right and being at peace with it (Feet of Readiness)? Or maybe I get all the armor on but forget to prepare myself for what God will bring about (Prayer).

Here’s something to think on each day… “Am I wearing all the armor or just a few pieces today?” What a massacre if I fail to at least pray.

Comments

~ jessica said…
I just need you to know how much I appreciate you. I take joy in reading your thoughts and pleasure that you would allow me to share them. I am humbled by the lessons you share. You remind me to be vigilant in my faith. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred - Just As I Am

... In Love

Choose Your Focus